Friday, April 5, 2013

The Beginning

I had hoped to begin this journal April first but I didn't manage my time very well, a problem that's become a pattern recently. I didn't realize I needed to read parts of the beginning before starting the 90 day challenge.
Let me provide some background. I've wanted to write a novel for a long time but have had issues. I'll start from the beginning and try to write it all the way through and lose interest or I'll jump around because I don't want to forget anything and then never finish anything. So I decided if I was ever going to achieve my dream of being a published novelist I would need help. I purchased 90 Days to Your Novel: A Day-by-Day Plan for Outlining & Writing Your Book by Sarah Domet. I picked this book over the hundreds that are out there because she had a tough voice. She makes it clear that the ball is in the reader's court and that work and discipline is required. I decided any type of feel good voice wouldn't motivate me or at least not for very long.
So far the book has been great. I just didn't realize I needed to have the outline of my novel finished before beginning the challenge. Thus, I didn't get to start this blog until after I had read more and figured out how to outline a novel. Today I started writing the outline and I consider that the beginning to writing my novel.
The book has you outline your novel by scene which made sense after reading the the first part of the book. You always hear the word "scene" but having it described and what not really helped me. I finished three scenes today but, again, I kept coming up with ideas and I didn't want to forget them so I started writing them down on the sides. I'm not sure if that's okay, a sign that I can't focus, or what have you. I didn't get much done anyway thanks to my aunt's dogs barking at every person who passed by on this gorgeous day. My plan is to finish the outline tomorrow so I can begin the challenge on Sunday. The book goes by week and most consider Sunday to be the first day of the week so starting then would make it easier for me to remember. Not that it should be too hard to remember since I'll be writing everyday.
A good first day but I need my second day to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment